MGH Peer Counselor
Position: Peer Counselor II
Location: Maternity Housing Program
Supervised By: Program Manager
The Peer Counselor II is an experienced individual who works as part of an effective team in Home Start’s residential programs to facilitate the independence of young mothers. The Peer Counselor is responsible for assisting in the adjustment process of incoming youth who are participating in the Maternity Housing Program and assisting the residents in identifying goals which promote self-sufficiency and in identifying services and activities to help reach these goals.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develops relationships by providing support and encouragement that will enhance residents’ ability to take action steps to accomplish their goals and support during their time at the MHP
- Works closely with the case manager to better understand client’s needs and goals
- Respects the rights and dignity of everyone at all times
- Assists residents develop empowerment skills through self-advocacy
- Encourages residents to attend resident’s meetings/support groups, and supports their effort and attends residents meetings and support groups to build stronger relationships with clients
- Coaches all MHP clients about educational and career opportunities
- Coaches all peers in healthy life choices to include family planning, nutrition, parenting, safe coping skills, hiking/walking groups, as well as support groups regarding self-care and self-love
- Provides linking of services for residents to needed resources and serving as a mentor to clients to promote hope and empowerment
- Supports the site supervisor and therapist as needed; may include co-facilitating workshops and skill building groups
- Participates in individual client sessions, assist with orientation, intake, and move in and move out procedures
- Maintains accurate and timely documentation of the services provided to clients
- Complies with agency policies and procedures and demonstrates professional, ethical and confidential conduct in all work behavior
- Participates in case conferences, staff meetings, team meetings and agency trainings
- Serves as a liaison between the Thrift Boutique and MSP for Social Enterprise
- Creates, engages and maintains participation for all clients in the Home Start MHP Youth Advisory Board.
- Actively pursues professional development opportunities to stay current in field
- Represents Home Start through consistent involvement in youth and TAY specific committees
- Participates in MHP tours and speaks on behalf of Home Start to share personal experience of participating in the MHP program
- Maintains MHP event planning and calendar coordination
- Preparation of monthly newsletter
- Performs other duties as assigned that are consistent with level of experience
. Education: High school diploma or GED required; some college preferred; with 2-3 years’ experience in human services and/or applicable life experience. Knowledge: Knowledge of community resources. Abilities: Demonstrated ability to be culturally sensitive and respect diversity. Essential personal attributes include: stability, sensitivity, flexibility, patience, discretion, warm and friendly disposition and non-judgmental attitude. Skills: Must have effective communication skills and be willing to work as a team player. Bilingual in Spanish preferred. Ability to read and to follow map Other Requirements: Must have a valid California driver’s license, a safe driving record, automobile, a reliable vehicle and be willing to use it on the job.
- Sitting for long periods of time in the homes of client families, in the office or at required meetings.
- Daily traveling in car to clients or to agency and community meetings.
- Frequent note taking and recording in case files by hand.
- Office space is shared.
- The noise level fluctuates from quiet to noisy.
Home Start, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in the hiring of personnel because of gender, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship pregnancy, age, marital status, sexual orientation, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or gender expression, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws.
Job Status: Part Time