Housing Stability Case Manager
Job Summary: Supports individuals and families at-risk of homelessness with rental assistance or defaulting on their mortgage. Connects individuals and families to additional services and linkages to permanent housing, health, mental health, and other supportive services. Provides education on local laws and renter/homeowner rights. Monitors applications, processes requests, and disperses funds to landlords and lenders. Works closely with the cities in East County, collects data, and submits reports.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Monitors applications and ensures applicants meet criteria.
- Advocates for clients and communicates with lenders/landlords.
- Knowledgeable about housing laws/rights and provides education and coaching to their clients.
- Monitor housing phone and email to provide additional information.
- Provide ongoing information, referrals, linkages, and advocacy for all other identified needs.
- Creatively use and develop community resources to broker and link clients to services.
- Provide a high-quality customer service environment for all clients.
- Maintain client files and records.
- Submit check requests in a timely manner
- Maintain frequent communication with the City
- Collect data, track spending, and submit weekly reports to the City
- Provide translation services to individuals that do not speak English
- Participate in staff meetings, case conferencing, and training as assigned by supervisor.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education: A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in social work, social services, and/or related human services field preferred. Demonstrated experience in outreach work and/or commensurate experience preferred. Knowledge: Knowledge of community resources and evidence-based practices. Abilities: Demonstrated ability to be culturally sensitive and respect diversity. Essential personal attributes include: stability, sensitivity, flexibility, patience, discretion, warm and friendly disposition, and non-judgmental attitude. Skills: Must have effective communication skills and be willing to work as a team player. Ability to read and to follow a map. Other Requirements: Must have a valid California driver’s license, a safe driving record, a reliable vehicle and be willing to use it on the job.
- Frequently required to stand, sit, walk, stoop, talk, hear, reach above and below shoulders, use hand and finger dexterity, and making and receiving telephone calls.
- May be required on occasion to lift and or carry up to 20 lbs.
- May be in contact with individuals and families in crisis who may be ill, using alcohol and drugs, and/or who may not be attentive to basic personal hygiene, health, and safety practices.
- May experience a number of unpleasant sensory demands associated with the client’s use of alcohol and drugs, and/or lack of personal hygiene.
- Must be ready to respond quickly and effectively to many types of situations, including crisis situations and potentially hostile situations.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate in an office setting.
- At times work may become stressful when working under pressure.
Home Start, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in the hiring of personnel because of gender, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship pregnancy, age, marital status, sexual orientation, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or gender expression, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws.
Job Status: Full Time