Housing Specialist East County (YHDP)
Home Start, founded in 1972, is a non-profit agency dedicated to the prevention of child abuse and strengthening of families. We are currently seeking a Housing Specialist to provides landlord outreach and permanent housing assistance to short-term and transitional housing clients in East County.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee all activities that relate to identification and provision of housing;
- Provide “ready to rent” coaching to ensure that survivors are aware of their rights and responsibilities with respect to housing;
- Conduct outreach to realtors, landlords, housing developers and other housing providers to identify new and existing housing opportunities;
- Build a strong inventory of available housing options for participants;
- Integrate program services as part of the regional coordinated community approach to homelessness, given that victims of crime have increased risk and unique needs;
- Work with survivors to identify housing that meets their needs and to help navigate access to housing;
- Negotiate with landlords to “sell” the program and convince landlords to accept tenants they may normally screen out, to negotiate lease agreements, resolve issues relating to current housing (i.e. rental arrears or damage to property) to prevent evictions;
- Liaison with the San Diego Housing San Diego Housing Commission’s Landlord Incentive Program and San Diego County’s Department of Housing and Community Development to provide housing location services and identify appropriate and affordable housing options. Track participant utilization of these programs;
- Create and maintain positive working relationships with suitable Property Managers and Landlords for long term coordination of permanent housing services for participants;
- Create and implement a landlord recruitment and retention plan;
- Implement policies and procedures;
- Network with other agencies, coalitions, and participate in local community meetings including the Regional CoC;
- Conduct community engagement and education through presentations and individual meetings;
- Complete all required training to include DV Counselor training (40 hours) and 24 hours of pre and in-service training on topics such as Trauma Informed Care, Cultural Competency, Motivational Interviewing and Positive Youth Development, Client Confidentiality/HIPPA, etc.; and
- Participate in system data collection; complete necessary paper work and forms.
Skills / Requirements
Must have a minimum of 2 years of experience in property management, housing management, and/or real estate, including negotiation and advocacy. Must work well with persons of varied sexual preference, racial, ethnic, cultural, socioeconomic backgrounds, and with individuals who are differently-abled. Strong interpersonal and communication skills. Ability to take direction. Exceptional problem-solving skills. Highly organized, detail-oriented, strong time management skills and able to work in a fast-paced environment. Ability to provide creative solutions. Previous employment or volunteer work in human services, community agencies or other related non-profit or social change organizations a plus. Good oral and written communication and computer skills are required. Bilingual (Spanish/English) speaker preferred. Must be a Certified DV Counselor (completed 40-hour DV Counselor training pursuant to Evidence Code §1037.1) or willing to complete such training within 3 months of hire. Must pass a criminal background check. Must have a valid California driver’s license, a safe driving record, automobile insurance, and a reliable vehicle.
- Reading and typing on a computer frequently.
- Sitting for long periods of time at required meetings or in supervision.
- Daily traveling in car to meet with clients and attend agency and community meetings.
- Frequent travel to meet with clients and landlords.
Home Start offers competitive salaries and excellent benefits including employer paid medical and life insurance. Voluntary benefits include dental, vision, additional life insurance and AFLAC; FSA for medical and dependent care; and 401(K) Plan with employer match. Time off benefits include generous vacation, sick days and holidays.
Job Status: Full Time