Homeless Outreach Specialist
Title: East County Homeless Outreach Specialist
Supervised By: Deputy Director
Location: East County
Job Summary: Performs street-based outreach to engage and build rapport with unsheltered individuals and families experiencing homelessness in East County. Provides outreach and engagement services to identify appropriate interventions and linkages to permanent housing, shelter, health, mental health, and other supportive services. Assists with housing navigation, creating a housing plan, document collection, and housing placements. Works closely with the County, collects data, and submits monthly reports.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct street-based outreach to develop and build rapport with clients.
- Pass out food, hygiene packs, and connect clients to other necessary resources.
- Collaborate and work closely with law enforcement and City officials.
- Assist clients with completing assessments, gathering housing documents, and developing a housing plan
- Meet with established clients on a consistent basis to review, evaluate, and support goal completion.
- Respond to community requests for street outreach services and send follow-up information.
- Provide street case management services by connecting clients to long-term supportive services.
- Assist clients with the establishment of personal benefits including (GR, SSI, TANF, etc.).
- Help clients to obtain various forms of identification including birth certificates and social security cards.
- Provide employment assistance, housing referrals, and health related assistance.
- Assist with applications for supportive and subsidized housing.
- Collaborate with community substance abuse and mental health providers to ensure seamless referrals.
- Provide rental assistance to clients that meet criteria.
- Work with local law enforcement and other service providers.
- Provide ongoing information, referrals, linkages, and advocacy for all other identified needs.
- Creatively use and develop community resources to broker and link clients to services.
- Provide a high-quality customer service environment for all clients.
- Maintain client files and records.
- Complete Homeless Management Information System (HMIS) data entry.
- Complete case notes.
- Participate in staff meetings, case conferencing, and training as assigned by supervisor.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education: A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in social work, social services, and/or related human services field preferred. Demonstrated experience in outreach work and/or commensurate experience preferred. Knowledge: Knowledge of community resources and evidence-based practices. Abilities: Demonstrated ability to be culturally sensitive and respect diversity. Essential personal attributes include: stability, sensitivity, flexibility, patience, discretion, warm and friendly disposition, and non-judgmental attitude. Skills: Must have effective communication skills and be willing to work as a team player. Other Requirements: Must have a valid California driver’s license, a safe driving record, a reliable vehicle and be willing to use it on the job.
- Frequently required to stand, sit, walk, stoop, talk, hear, reach above and below shoulders, use hand and finger dexterity, and making and receiving telephone calls.
- May be required on occasion to lift and or carry up to 20 lbs.
- May be in contact with individuals and families in crisis who may be ill, using alcohol and drugs, and/or who may not be attentive to basic personal hygiene, health, and safety practices.
- May experience a number of unpleasant sensory demands associated with the client’s use of alcohol and drugs, and/or lack of personal hygiene.
- Must be ready to respond quickly and effectively to many types of situations, including crisis situations and potentially hostile situations.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate in an office setting.
- At times work may become stressful when working under pressure.
Home Start, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in the hiring of personnel because of gender, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship pregnancy, age, marital status, sexual orientation, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or gender expression, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws.
Job Status: Full Time