Homeless Outreach Specialist
Home Start, a leader in providing family strengthening services in San Diego County since 1972, is seeking an experienced Homeless Outreach Specialist to perform street-based outreach to engage and build rapport with unsheltered youth, individuals, and families experiencing homelessness in East County.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct street-based outreach to develop and build rapport with clients.
- Assist clients with completing common assessments when appropriate.
- Meet with established clients on a consistent basis to review, evaluate, and support goal completion.
- Respond to community requests for street outreach services and send follow-up information to the requestor and supervisor.
- Provide street case management services by connecting clients to long-term supportive services.
- Assist clients with the establishment of personal benefits including (GR, SSI, TANF, etc.).
- Help clients to obtain various forms of identification including birth certificates and social security cards.
- Provide employment assistance, housing referrals, and health related assistance.
- Assist with applications for supportive and subsidized housing.
- Collaborate with community substance abuse and mental health providers to ensure seamless referrals.
- Screen clients for homelessness prevention services.
- Accept client referrals for homelessness prevention.
- Provide homelessness prevention services including rent payments, landlord mediation, and follow-up.
- Work with local law enforcement and other service providers.
- Provide ongoing information, referrals, linkages, and advocacy for all other identified needs.
- Creatively use and develop community resources to broker and link clients to services.
- Provide a high quality customer service environment for all clients.
- Maintain client files and records.
- Complete Homeless Management Information System (HMIS) data entry.
- Complete case notes.
- Participate in staff meetings, case conferencing, and training as assigned by supervisor.
Skills / Requirements
A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in social work, social services, and/or related human services field preferred. Demonstrated experience in outreach work and/or commensurate experience preferred. Knowledge of community resources and evidence-based practices. Demonstrated ability to be culturally sensitive and respect diversity. Essential personal attributes include: stability, sensitivity, flexibility, patience, discretion, warm and friendly disposition, and non-judgmental attitude. Must have effective communication skills and be willing to work as a team player. Ability to read and to follow a map. Other Requirements: Must have a valid California driver’s license, a safe driving record, a reliable vehicle and be willing to use it on the job.
Job Status: Full Time