Family Support Specialist (First Steps)
Home Start, founded in 1972, is a non-profit social services agency dedicated to preventing child abuse and neglect in San Diego County, We are currently seeking a responsible individual to deliver high quality in-home visitation services to support healthy and secure attachment between parents and children. Completes supporting documentation and assessments according to Healthy Families of America and First Steps policies and procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement curriculum using the Healthy Families of America model and the Parents as Teachers curriculum tailored to the specific needs of each family on the Family Support Specialist’s caseload
- Provides case management services including: identification of family needs and goals on case plan with ongoing monitoring and follow-up on progress towards those goals
- Deliver supportive services to clients including, but not limited to supportive counseling, crisis intervention, mentoring, motivational interviewing and parent education
- Educate families on child development topics and developmental milestones and provide activities to enhance child’s learning using various Evidenced Based Curriculums including but not limited to Parents as Teachers and Great Beginnings
- Identify protective factors within family systems that need strengthening and skill building and with the help of the Supervisor develop a family service plan to address concerns
- Provides support to families in identifying, obtaining and accessing community resources. Empower families to apply these skills with future needs
- Maintains a flexible working schedule to accommodate families’ schedule
- Assess families in multiple areas and maintain fidelity and validity to assessment models, including but not limited to: The Healthy Families Parenting Index, Ages and Stages Questionnaire, PHQ 9 depression screening
- Observe and Assess Parent-Child Interactions and work with Supervisor and Family to strengthen interactions
- Maintains accurate and timely case records documenting all services provided
- Maintains monthly reporting and data entry as required by the contract and agency requirements
- Develop and Deliver Parenting Groups to enhance and support protective factors and program goals
- Assures security of confidential information and materials, following HIPAA
- Networks and develops relationships with various community service agencies
- Attends agency, program and collaborative meetings as assigned
- Accepts direction and reports to Family Support Specialist Supervisor or Program Manager for direct supervision
- Attends and participates in ongoing training, cultivates an attitude of continuous learning
- Actively participate in all parts of Supervision, maintain an open and objective approach to exploring your thoughts and feelings as is related to the work to engage in the parallel process.
Skills / Requirements
A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in child development, social work, psychology, education and/or related human services field. Demonstrated experience with in-home, low income, family-based services and/or commensurate experience may qualify. Knowledge of community resources required. Must have demonstrated ability to be culturally sensitive and respect diversity and provide support, structure, empathy, sound judgment, insight into human behavior and family relations. Effective communication skills are essential. Must be a team player and be able to work independently. Computer literate as appropriate. Bilingual in Arabic highly preferred.
Home Start is proud to be recognized as one of the 50 Best Nonprofits to Work For in 2012, 2011 and 2010 from the NonProfit Times Nationwide program; one of San Diego's 50 Best Places to Work from the San Diego Business Journals 2009 10th Annual Best Places to Work program; a 2011 and 2012 Medallion Winner in the San Diego Workplace Excellence Awards sponsored by the Society for Human Resources Management, and a finalist in the San Diego U-T Top Work Places for 2013.
Job Status: Full Time